Anti Ragging Cell
Ragging is completely prohibited in HEIs and hostels. Anyone found guilty of ragging and / or abetting ragging whether actively or passively, or being a part of conspiracy to promote ragging, is liable to be punished under the provisions of the UGC Regulations on Curbing the Menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009, as well as under the provisions of relevant laws in force in force from time to time.
- To root out ragging in all its forms from the college by prohibiting it by law,
- To prevent its occurrence by following the provisions of the UGC Regulations on Curbing the Menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009.
- To punish those who indulge in ragging as provided for in the regulations and the appropriate law in force.
WHAT IS RAGGING?
In terms of the Regulations on curbing the menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009, Ragging constitutes one or more of any of following acts:
Any conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other student, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or to raise rear or apprehension thereof in a fresher or a junior student or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such student will not in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or a junior student. Any act of financial extortion or forceful expenditure burden put on a fresher or any other student by students. Any act of physical abuse including all variants of it: sexual abuse, homosexual assaults, stripping, forcing obscene and lewd acts/ gestures, causing bodily harm or any other danger to health or person.
PUNISHABLE INGREDIENTS OF RAGGING:
- Abetment to ragging;
- Criminal conspiracy to ragging;
- Unlawful assembly and rioting while ragging;
- Public nuisance created during ragging;
- Violation of decency and morals through ragging;
- Injury to body, causing hurt or grievous hurt;
- Wrongful restraint;
- Wrongful confinement;
- Use of criminal force;
- Assault as well as sexual offences or unnatural offences;
- Criminal trespass;
- Offences against property;
- Criminal intimidation;
- Attempts to commit any or all of the above mentioned offences against the victim (s);
- Physical or psychological humiliation;
- All other offences following from the definition of "Ragging".
PUNISHMENTS: At the institution level:
Depending upon the nature and gravity of the offence as established by the Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution, the possible punishments for those found guilty of ragging at the institution level shall be any one or any combination of the following:
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding/Withdrawing scholarship/fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/examination or other evaluation process.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, National or International meet, tournament, Youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/ Expulsion from the hostel.
- Cancellation of Admission.
- Rustication from the Institution for a period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters.
- Expulsion from the Institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for specified period.
- Fine ranging between Rupees 25,000/- and Rupees 1 Lakh.
- Collective punishment: when the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.
|CONVENOR ||COMMITTEE MEMBERS
|Prof. Dipa Chakraborty
||Dr. Sharmila De, Principal, Chairperson
|Prof. Sanjib Dhar
|Prof. Amal Kumar Bhakat
|Prof. Kakoli Sen Banerjee
|Dr. Bablu Biswas
|Sri Rajarshi Ghosh
Anti Ragging Undertaking
- UNDERTAKING BY THE CANDIDATE/STUDENT : Download
- UNDERTAKING BY PARENT/GUARDIAN : Download
Anti-Ragging Help Line
West Bengal Anti-Ragging Helpline
Anti-Ragging Helpline for All Educational Institutions of West Bengal
– 1800 345 5678
Phone : 1800-180-5522 &